Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The WinCo price list has been updated!

Winco does have a few new granola flavors, but they took out their new granola flavors that were on the endcap for two months.  They have also added vanilla beans in their spice section.

The biggest price increases were:
Pecan Halves - Increased from $9.28 to $10.61
Walnut Halves, pieces - Increased from $5.48 to $6.98
Taco Seasoning - Increased from $2.75/lb to $3.79/lb.

Also, something else I noticed as I was updating this list, is WinCo's bulk items that are "on sale" are given a green label. I thought it was interesting that the walnuts and pecan halves were on sale, but in reality their bulk price increased quite a bit from last month.  This may be a precursor to a substantial increase in price...we'll see.

Good Earth-
For those of you who live in Utah, I have decided to add Good Earth to my blog.  Once upon a time I had full list for Good Earth and Sunflower Market, but I think they must have been accidentally deleted.  I gave it a shot to go and write down all the bulk items they carry.  I was able to get through most of the bulk food section before I ran out of time, so the list does not contain the snacks located at the far wall.

I actually really like Good Earth.  I have a friend whose daughters first familiarized me to this store.  She was always bringing in yummy/healthy snacks and I had to know where she was getting them - Good Earth!  This was my first introduction to a real bulk food section, aside from bulk herbs.  Good Earth is a local family owned and operated health food store that has only a handful of stores in Utah.  You just cannot compare them to WinCo.  The bulk section is very different, carrying a broader range of grain, flour, and sweeteners, most of them being organic, and good amount being gluten free.

In my opinion, there is healthy, and then there is really healthy.  To me, Good Earth falls into the really healthy category.  Most of the bulk items are organic and non-GMO, and even a handful of the dried fruit is unsulfured. They used to have more unsulfured dried fruit to choose from, but that was over a year ago that I noticed some change.

If you want to compare prices against Good Earth, I would suggest comparing them with Azure Standard.  Azure Standard has a lot of organic bulk food, many of them being the same to what Good Earth carries.  Azure Standard carries a lot of 25 lb and 50 lb bags of grain and such, but they also sell things in smaller quantities like 1 lb, 2 lbs, 5 lbs, and 10 lbs depending on the product.  They also carry unsulfured dried fruit.

Xanthan Gum-
For those who are on a gluten free diet, Good Earth carries xanthan gum at a considerably lower price than WinCo.  I saw it as I was walking out of the store.  I'm not sure of all the locations, but at the American Fork location, the xanthan gum was located on an end cap nearest the registers as you walk toward the bulk section.  It is in a brown paper bag, and it is being sold for $12.67/16 oz.  That beats WinCo's $17.43/lb by quite a bit.