Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chilled Cantaloupe with Vanilla Ice Cream


Summertime.  When I think of summer, I think of ice cream.  I’m not an ice cream lover, but my husband is -- no doubt about it.  If there is ice cream in the freezer, he will eat it. I have never met anyone else who likes ice cream as much as he does, so in the summer I try to have it on hand more often, just to give him a treat. Through the years he’s been able to manage his ice cream portions, giving the kids a chance to have some too.  He says he prefers quantity over quality, but myself, I enjoy a good quality ice cream every now and then.   

When my husband and I were still dating, he had a roommate who literally cut a chilled cantaloupe in half, scooped out the seeds, and stuffed the middle with vanilla ice cream.  At first I thought that was a little strange, but after trying it, I really liked it.  It’s cool and refreshing and makes a great hot weather snack or dessert.  I can’t eat an entire half of a cantaloupe with three scoops of ice cream, but one scoop of ice cream with a slice or two of melon is more my size.

Fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or even marionberries are other great alternatives: simple and delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here