Monday, March 5, 2012

Quick and Easy Breakfast Burritos





Veggie Breakfast Burrito
2-3 large flour tortillas
½ red or green bell pepper or a mixture of both, diced
½ - 1 onion, thinly sliced or diced
Large handful fresh spinach roughly chopped
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 eggs, scrambled mixture
Cheese
dash of hot sauce
pepper
salt

There are a couple ways that I like to prep the burrito-

Cooking Method #1
  1. Spray large skillet with non-stick spray and cook the bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms over med-high heat. 
  2. Season with salt and cook just until the onion starts to turn translucent.
  3. Add the spinach and toss with vegetable mixture just a couple of times and remove from skillet.
  4. Cook the scrambled egg mixture until cooked through, seasoning with salt and pepper.
  5. Remove from heat, add cheese if desired, and cover skillet until cheese is melted.
  6. Divide vegetable mixture between the flour tortillas, being careful not to add the excess water (from the mushrooms).
  7. Top vegetables with egg, sprinkle with hot sauce (opt) and roll into a burrito.

Cooking Method #2

  1. Spray skillet with non-stick spray and add bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms over med-high heat. Cook for 1 min.
  2. Add scrambled egg mixture to the vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and cook until eggs are cooked through.
  3. Divide the fresh spinach between the flour tortillas
  4. Add the cooked vegetable/egg mixture on top of the fresh spinach.
  5. Sprinkle with hot sauce if desired.
  6. Roll into a burrito.

The heat of the mixture will slightly wilt the spinach when rolled in a burrito.

If using mushrooms, it really is best for the mushrooms to rest a moment before adding them to the burrito.  They tend to sweat more than the other veggies, and adding them straight from the skillet to the flour tortilla tends to make the tortillas almost gummy. 

 Every Ingredient Is Optional:

For my husband, breakfast is an on-the-go meal.  He practices the art of waking up in just enough time to get dressed, grab his stuff, and head out the door.  To my surprise, this year he woke up early enough for two weeks straight to eat breakfast, get his lunch ready, shower,  and get dressed with about 15 minutes to spare.  What a big shock!  It was too bad that it only lasted two weeks.  So for him, if I don’t have a breakfast that he can take with him, he won’t have enough time to eat at all. 

We’ve tried different variations of an egg sandwich or breakfast burrito, and a veggie burrito is my favorite way to go.  My husband and I have two very different tastes when it comes to breakfast burritos.  Thankfully these are very easy to alter for each of our preferences.

My husband hates mushrooms.  There are some things that he can swallow down, but mushrooms are not one of them.  Even if the mushrooms are even diced until almost unnoticeable, he will know and he will sit there and pick out every last piece.  On the other hand, my husband likes cheese.  No, he loves cheese.  When we were first married, he went through more cheese in a week than my family would go through in a month.  He has limited the amount of cheese he eats by quite a bit, but if there is cheese in the house, he will eat it.

Unlike my husband, I love mushrooms.  I don’t like egg (only sometimes) and I don’t like cheese in my breakfast burrito.  If there is extra after cooking for my husband, I’ll eat it, but it’s not my first choice. I also like lots of onion.  When onions are cooked over med-high heat with a light seasoning of salt, there tends to be a sweetness about them that comes out.  I love this.  While I’m not crazy about bell peppers, they really do add lots of flavor to mixture. 

So even though our tastes are different, I just prepare the dislikes separately and cook them accordingly.

Prepare Vegetables Ahead:

A quicker way to throw together a burrito in the morning is to have the vegetables already diced and ready to go.  Onions and bell peppers, zucchini, and jalapeno (or other peppers) can be diced and stored in a container together.  Tomatoes tend to get mushy and spinach can get soggy if prepared too far ahead, so I just wait until that morning.  Mushrooms, I'm not sure about.  I haven't had any issues preparing mushrooms ahead, but I'm not sure if you can combine them with anything else.  I've always stored them separately.  If you prefer breakfast meat like bacon, ham, or sausage, these can also be precooked, stored in your fridge for a few days, and just reheat them on the skillet.

Sometimes a little preplanning will save you a lot of time in the early morning.

1 comment:

Comment Here