Thursday, January 5, 2012

Navajo Tacos

I've been craving Navajo tacos for a while now and I wanted to make a recipe that would incorporate whole grains and beans.  I was able to come up with a thick "chili" mix that actually turned out well. I want to share the recipe, but keep in mind that everyone's tastes are different, so add more seasonings if needed and don't be afraid to change it up.  Adding diced bell pepper would have enhanced the flavor, but I used my last one a few days ago. 

Navajo Tacos Chili -
2 cups of beans, pre-soaked and cooked or from the can (I used 1/2 pinto and 1/2 black beans)
1 cup of whole grains, any variety (I used 1/4 cup rye, 3/4 cup triticale, and 1/4 cup barley)
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 can Tomato Sauce
1-2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 onion, diced
1 tsp garlic powder, or 1 clove minced
1-2 tsp Basil
1-2 tsp Sweetener (I used agave)
2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
1-2 Tbsp Bouillon, any variety
1/2-1 tsp black pepper
1/3 of an Anaheim chili diced or any other preference
1 tsp  sea salt
2 1/2 cups water

In a crock pot / slow cooker add all of the ingredients. (If you are using rice, millet or pearled barley, wait to add them until the last 2 hours of cooking).  Let it cook on high 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.  Watch your liquid content. If it looks like you need to add more liquid, then do so, but the chili is meant to be thick.  Taste the sauce and adjust flavor accordingly.  After 4-5 hours, turn to warm for an hour, giving the grains to absorb the rest of the liquid without scorching.
Refrigerate any leftovers 3-4 days or freeze.

Navajo Tacos / Fry Bread  (Dough)-

3 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1- 1 1/4  cup milk, any variety - I used rice milk (I haven't tried this with water yet)
coconut oil for frying

1. Mix the dry ingredients together and add milk.
2. Stir until Incorporated and knead by hand 5-7 min or until dough is smooth, or knead in mixer with dough hook on #2 for 5 min.  Dust with flour if necessary while kneading.
3. Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 8ths for large, 6ths for medium, or 4ths for large pieces (will make 5" bread) and shape into discs, roughly 1/4" thick.  You may want to make the middle thinner for making it easier to add toppings.  Fry bread in hot oil until golden brown, turning once.  Drain on paper towels.

Top almost like you would a tostada and enjoy.

Suggested Toppings:

lettuce
fresh spinach
tomatoes
olives
sour cream
avocados or guacamole
salsa or picante sauce
cheese or vegan cheese sauce
onions


Variations:
Fry bread is also good as a sweet treat as well.
  • dust with powdered sugar
  • sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture
  • top with honey butter
  • dip in maple syrup

    I haven't tried making these with whole wheat flour, but I want to.  I know that 1/2 unbleached flour and 1/2 whole wheat will turn out just fine, but I would like to try it with 100% whole wheat flour.  I'll give you an update on how that turns out.