Monday, January 9, 2012

To Coupon Or Not To Coupon

Courtesy of PhilipMartin.info
Many people say that you need to use coupons in order to save money.  They also say that if you coupon properly, you should be able to stock your pantry while still saving money.  Some people are even considered "extreme couponers" and can walk away from the store, spending almost nothing.  I am not an extreme couponer, nor do I benefit from the paid newspaper subscriptions that contain “money saving coupons”.

It's not that I never coupon, but paying for a newspaper subscription specifically for the coupons is something I regret every time.  I have signed up to a newspaper subscription a few times, exclusively for the "money saving coupons."  Unless the subscription was ultra cheap to begin with, it always seems to be one of those "what was I thinking" moments.  My most recent subscription was the full price of $20 a month for 3 days/week newspaper delivery.  I didn't want it to begin with, but I gave in to the pressure.  I gave it a full month and at the end of the month, I reevaluated the subscription.  Was it worth it for me?  No. Out of the $20 spent, I didn't use enough coupons to save money or even break even. 

Some coupons I come across are worth my time:
  • monthly Costco coupons
  • free online printable coupons (I limit these to two sites)
  • Catalina coupons
  • manufacturer’s coupons attached to the package

Maybe every 2-3 months I'll look at the printable coupons online to see what is available and sometimes there will be a coupon for tampons, cheese, cereal, yogurt, milk or non-dairy milk.  With all the coupon sites available, they can quickly consume your time, so I limit it to two main sites: www.coupons.com and www.smartsource.com.  I can skim through these two sites rather quickly.  Yes I know there are many other non-food items to choose from as well.  Some I find useful, and some I do not.  Every time I use a coupon to buy Reach floss, I grumble under my breath as the floss is breaking between my teeth. 

Catalina's are probably the most useful coupons I've come across.  They print out along side your receipt according to your spending habits, and I have even been given a handful of coupons that were basically free money, allowing me to buy anything in the store, no minimum purchase necessary.  I have very rarely come across produce coupons. 

Everyone is different.  In order to determine whether it is beneficial to “subscribe” to coupons, it is best to evaluate your eating habits and decide whether or not it is useful.  I have a sister that does very well with couponing.  She spends a few hours a week clipping and sorting coupons, and maybe another hour organizing her list.  For her, the time spent is worth the savings.  My family eats very differently.  So for us, the savings for the brands and types of food that I try and have for my family very rarely are offered in coupon form.