Friday, January 6, 2012

Navajo Tacos Update

I played around with the fry bread dough today.  My favorite version that I came up with was slightly different than my previous post:

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups water
coconut oil for frying

Mix dry ingredients, add water and mix again.  Knead 5-7 minutes, cover, and let rest 10-15 minutes.

When I used the rice milk with the unbleached flour, it turned out fine once it was cooked, but working with the dough was a bit of a challenge.  The dough was sticky and broke apart easily (non-elastic).  When I made it with 1/2 all purpose flour, 1/2 whole wheat, and water, the dough was smooth and elastic.  The fry bread cooked up just the same as the first recipe, but if you are willing to use whole wheat, this is my preference.  100% whole wheat just didn't work for me.  It was dense and the wheat flavor was quite strong.  I'm sure I could mess around with the proportions a little more, but right now, I am fine with the half and half.

I have made fry bread with 100% unbleached all purpose flour and cow's milk, and it turns out great, but we're trying to incorporate more whole grains into our diet.

If you have a favorite fry bread variation or recipe, please share.  I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here